AFL star De Goey returns to Collingwood

Jordan De Goey returned to Collingwood training following his assault allegations in the US.
Jordan De Goey returned to Collingwood training following his assault allegations in the US.

Troubled Collingwood utility Jordan De Goey has returned to training with his AFL club, ending a three-month absence while embroiled in an assault case in the United States.

De Goey rejoined his teammates at Collingwood training on Friday after the club stood him down when he was charged over an alleged assault at a New York bar on October 30 last year.

De Goey has pleaded guilty to a second-degree harassment violation, which does not carry a criminal conviction.

He has also agreed to commit to a corrective program in Australia, while all other assault charges were dropped.

Collingwood on Thursday received an agreed settlement which is expected to be ratified at a court hearing in the US on January 28.

The Magpies stressed the 25-year-old needed to change his behaviour more generally, noting the incident in New York had "not been the club's only consideration" in deciding to stand De Goey down.

"Club officials have spoken at length with Jordan about the situation and his behaviour more generally, and he recognises that change is necessary," chief executive officer Mark Anderson said in a statement on Thursday night.

"He also understands that his actions from here will need to be evidence of that change. The responsibility to rebuild trust is his to carry and he fully understands the consequences of any future issue."

Collingwood said De Goey's return hinged on "acceptance of continuing and further support off-field and full co-operation with health professionals providing such support".

He would also be required to take on permanent, part-time work with the Salvation Army.

Australian Associated Press