LATEST COVID-19 DEVELOPMENTS:
* Another 12 Australians have died with COVID-19 as the federal government puts pressure on the states to open up home quarantine so more people stranded overseas can be reunited with family by Christmas.
* Federal Tourism and Trade Minister Dan Tehan urged the states to rethink their position on home-based quarantine.
* NSW reported 1007 new cases along with 11 deaths, including three people who died at home before being diagnosed.
* More than half the cases diagnosed on Friday were in western and southwest Sydney. However there is also concern over rising case numbers in the Illawarra, south of the city, with 70 new cases reported.
* The latest deaths comprised 10 men and a woman. Nine of them were unvaccinated and the other two had received one jab. Three died at home - a man in his 40s, a man in his 50s, and a woman in her 80s.
* Their deaths take the state's latest outbreak toll to 288.
* Victoria recorded 847 new locally acquired cases - a daily record - and another death as parts of the state prepare to emerge from lockdown.
* Restrictions will ease on the Surf Coast from midnight on Sunday after the region recorded a single virus case.
* The situation also looks "relatively positive" in Greater Geelong but the Mitchell Shire - which recorded seven new cases on Saturday - is likely to remain locked down.
* Police snuffed out a sixth day of anti-lockdown and anti-vaccine protests in Melbourne, dispersing and arresting would-be demonstrators.
* The 32 new infections recorded in the ACT equalled the largest daily increase in the territory since its latest outbreak began.
* Nine patient cases have emerged at a Canberra aged care home, after two fully vaccinated workers tested positive, and two among patients at Canberra Hospital.
* The Apple Isle appears to have avoided a COVID-19 outbreak after a Melbourne-based contractor working on Spirit of Tasmania ferries tested positive.
* All 11 Tasmanian-based crew members identified as close contacts have returned negative rapid test results, while two of six in Victoria have also tested negative.
AUSTRALIAN VACCINATION NUMBERS:
* There have been 26,441,588 doses administered in the national COVID-19 vaccination rollout up to Friday, including 311,275 in the previous 24 hours.
* Of the total, 15,210,701 have been administered by the Commonwealth (an increase of 177,357 in the previous 24 hours).
* 11,230,887 have been administered by the states and territories, including 133,918 in the previous 24 hours.
* Nationwide, 75.41 per cent of people aged over 16 have received one vaccine dose while 50.95 per cent are fully vaccinated.
AUSTRALIAN CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Australia reported 1887 local cases on Saturday: 1007 in NSW, 847 in Victoria, 32 in the ACT and one in Queensland.
* No overseas-acquired cases were reported.
* The national death toll is 1218: NSW 344, Victoria 838, Tasmania 13, WA 9, Queensland 7, SA 4, ACT 3. (Two Queensland residents who died in NSW have been included in the official tolls of both states).
GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Cases: at least 231,154,000.
* Deaths: at least 4,737,000.
* Vaccine doses administered: at least 6,046,193,000.
Data current as at 1630 AEST on September 25, taking in federal and state/territory government updates and Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Centre figures.
Australian Associated Press