Newcastle 500 could be Supercars farewell to Holden after GM announces brand will be scrapped

WINNER: Shane van Gisbergen rounds turn one of the Newcastle 500 tracks. Picture: Marina Neil
WINNER: Shane van Gisbergen rounds turn one of the Newcastle 500 tracks. Picture: Marina Neil

The Newcastle 500 could be Supercars farewell to Holden after General Motors announced it would dump the iconic brand by 2021.

The unexpected announcement has left fans of the series shocked and a number of teams who carry the famous badge in limbo.

Supercars said the decision would not impact the 2020 season, which starts in Adelaide on Thursday, but did not comment on how the series would look beyond this season.

"Today's news is understandably disappointing for fans who have followed Holden's success in Australian Touring Cars and Supercars since its debut in the 1960s," Supercars said in a statement on Monday.

"Holden has been firmly part of the heritage of our sport and has helped shape Supercars to become the sport it is today.

ICONIC: The Holden brand is synomous with Supercars. Picture: Marina Neil

ICONIC: The Holden brand is synomous with Supercars. Picture: Marina Neil

"The Commodore will remain on track for the 2020 Championship season and we're looking forward to seeing it alongside the Ford Mustang once again this weekend when the 2020 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship begins in Adelaide."

The 2020 Supercars series features 16 Holden Commodores, including the factory-backed Triple Eight/Red Bull Holden Racing Team.

Holden and Triple Eight have a program until the end of 2021, according to Fox Sports.

Supercars had expected Holden or General Motors to have an operational factory beyond that season.

POSSIBLE FAREWELL: The brand could be given a send off in Newcastle.

POSSIBLE FAREWELL: The brand could be given a send off in Newcastle.

Holden said it would work with Supercars and the Red Bull Holden Racing Team about how to handle the brand's retirement.

"We will begin discussions with the organisers and Supercars and Red Bull Holden Racing Team," the company said.

"We will update you on these discussions at the appropriate time.

"We are aware of our commitment and we will work through with Red Bull Holden Racing Team the implications of this decision."

WINNER: Shane van Gisbergen on the podium after race on last year. Picture: Max Mason-Hubers

WINNER: Shane van Gisbergen on the podium after race on last year. Picture: Max Mason-Hubers

The Newcastle 500 is the final round of the 2020 Supercars season.

If Holden is to be no more after the event, it could shape as a huge tourism boost for the region given how well supported the brand has been over the years.

Any sort of organised farewell to the brand would likely attract significant interest among Supercars fans.

This year's event, the fourth Supercars round Newcastle has hosted, is being held on December 4-6.

Red Bull Holden Racing won both Newcastle 500 races last year after Shane van Gisbergen claimed race one and Jamie Whincup race two.

The duo, or any of Supercars other leading drivers, were yet comment on the loss of Holden as of late on Monday afternoon.