William Tyrrell inquest: Court hears of child seen wearing Spiderman suit

William Tyrrell
William Tyrrell

A child was seen in a travelling vehicle wearing a Spiderman suit on the day William Tyrrell went missing, the coronial inquest into the three-year-old's disappearance has heard.

William Tyrrell went missing from his foster grandmother's home at Benaroon Drive, Kendall on September 12, 2014. He was wearing a Spiderman suit at the time.

The third round of week-long hearings of the coronial inquest into the disappearance of William Tyrrell started at Taree Courthouse on Monday, August 19.

On Monday, August 19 the inquest heard from Detective Sergeant Laura Beacroft who was behind building the persons of interest profiles for the case.

Counsel assisting the coroner Gerard Craddock questioned Detective Sergeant Beacroft over her involvement.

The inquiry heard Det Sgt Beacroft received a statement from Kendall resident Ronald Chapman and he had seen a car travelling along Laurel Street on September 12, 2014.

Mr Chapman told Det Sgt Beacroft during an interview that he had heard a noise he thought would have been the postie.

When he went outside to investigate, Mr Chapman saw a vehicle with a child in the backseat, up against the passenger side back window and his recollection was the child was wearing a Spiderman outfit.

The inquest heard from Detective Sergeant Beacroft that Mr Chapman believed the driver of the vehicle was female.

Det Sgt Beacroft told the inquest Mr Chapman is a well respected gentleman in the area and she had no reason to believe he would be making up what he saw.

Det Sgt Beacroft told the inquest after interviewing another Laurel Street resident, it's possible the child could have been Mr Chapman's neighbour's son.

The inquest is also expected to hear evidence from Paul Savage who is a Benaroon Drive resident and a member of the NSW SES.

William Tyrrell.

William Tyrrell.

More than 54 people are on a list to present evidence to Deputy State Coroner Harriet Grahame over the course of the inquest.

Some of those witnesses will speak publicly, others behind closed doors in secret.

The biological parents of William are also present at the Taree court.

Last week the second part of the inquest concluded after hearing from witnesses in Sydney.

The inquest heard from a number of witnesses including from two former friends who told conflicting stories about whether a driver was seen pushing something down into a car footwell the day the three-year-old went missing.

The first part of the inquest commenced in March this year and heard evidence from William's biological and foster families and emergency services personnel who were on the ground the day William disappeared from his grandmother's front yard in Benaroon Drive, Kendall.

At a directions hearing for the inquest in December 2018, counsel assisting the coroner Gerard Craddock SC said it wasn't possible - yet - to conclude William was dead.

All of the evidence collected by Strike Force Rosann is being presented before the Coroner who will determine if the three-year-old was abducted by someone.

Newly appointed officer-in-charge of the investigation Detective Chief Inspector David Laidlaw - stepping into the role after the resignation of Detective Chief Inspector Gary Jubelin earlier this year over allegations of misconduct - is among witnesses to give evidence.

Thousands of pieces of evidence and hundreds of interviews with witnesses and persons of interest have built the case that William was taken by someone who now holds a very closely guarded secret.

Anyone with information should call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.