May has emerged as the killer month for flu in South Australia, with 50 of the state's 82 deaths so far this year.
Figures released by SA Health on Tuesday show 19 people also died from the virus in April, but only six in June.
The toll remains below the 124 who died in 2017 but has easily surpassed the 14 deaths reported last year.
This year's toll has prompted the Labor opposition to call for a review of the handling of the flu season, with close to 20,000 confirmed cases.
At the same time last year, there had only been about 1500 cases.
Opposition Health Spokesman Chris Picton said there had been serious concerns raised over the government's handling of the flu season, including the supply of vaccines.
He said an independent medical review could also consider if an awareness campaign launched on Sunday should have been brought forward.
"We need a proper independent review of the government's management this year to make sure we can learn the lessons for next year," Mr Picton said.
SA's acting chief medical officer Nicola Spurrier said the strain of flu circulating this season was no more virulent or deadly than previous years, with the large increase in cases partly attributed to a significantly early start to the season.
She said the majority of deaths this year were in people aged over 65.
Health authorities were also happy with this year's vaccine which Dr Spurrier said was "not a bad match" for the flu strains in Australia.
Australian Associated Press