Wests Tigers seal gutsy win over rivals South Sydney Rabbitohs

Michael Chee Kam has done it again.

The Wests Tigers utility capped off a magnificent, 50-metre solo run in the dying minutes to secure a 14-9 win over South Sydney Rabbitohs at Bankwest Stadium last night.

The match marked round 15 of the NRL season.

It is the second time this year that Chee Kam has scored the match-winning try for the Tigers. Back in April, Chee Kam dived over late to round out a 22-16 win over the Brisbane Broncos.

Tigers coach Michael Maguire told reporters at a press conference that Chee Kam did a good job to get his side over the line.

"The boys actually said to him, prior to the game, that you're going to have to come up with something special," he said.

"He's got a little bit of X-factor around him.

"It's great to have him amongst the boys and he was able to come up with a big play, as he's done before."

Thursday night's match was a dour and tough affair.

A controversial moment occurred after just seven minutes when Rabbitohs forward George Burgess allegedly eye gouged Tigers veteran Robbie Farah.

Burgess was not sinbinned or sent off, but was placed on report and sent straight to the judiciary. He is likely to be suspended for several weeks.

The Tigers scored early through an Esan Marsters' penalty goal, and Adam Reynolds returned the favour after 20 minutes to see the score locked at 2-all.

The first try didn't come until the 28th minute when Corey Allan dived over for South Sydney. Reynolds nailed the conversion and the Rabbitohs led 8-2.

Tigers fullback Corey Thompson crossed to score in the 36th minute. Marsters nailed the conversion, and the scoreboard read 8-all at half time.

It was a see-sawing battle in the second half, with Reynolds finally breaking the dead-lock when he kicked a field goal in the 73rd minute.

The Rabbitohs led 9-8 in the dying minutes, before Chee Kam bobbed up to score the match-winning try for the Tigers.

Maguire said he was proud of how his players "fought for each other", especially in defence.

"I think the boys worked hard for each other," he said.

"It was an ugly game of football at times that went backwards and forwards.

"We dropped a lot of ball inside our own 20 [metres], and our boys just kept defending."

The result means the Tigers have now won two successive games and currently sit in eighth spot on the NRL ladder.

The Rabbitohs remain in third position but have lost their last four successive games.

South Sydney coach Wayne Bennett said the team would keep working hard at training this week.

"Our problem has been executing opportunities," he said.

"We probably made more line breaks than they [Tigers] did, but we just couldn't finish anything.

"We've just got to go back, get it right and stay at it. We know what works, I've just got to get them back on board again."