Man seriously burned in Thirlmere grass fire

Picture: Careflight
Picture: Careflight

A man in his 20s was flown to hospital with serious burns after a fire at a Thirlmere property yesterday afternoon.

The man sustained burns to his legs, hands and face, which were treated on scene by NSW Ambulance officers and a CareFlight specialist doctor before he was transferred to Royal North Shore Hospital by the CareFlight rapid response rescue helicopter.

The fire started when the 27-year-old resident attempted a pile burn.

District Assistant for the Southern Highlands Rural Fire Service Stuart Chadwick said it appeared an accelerant was used on the fire.

“It appears the resident may have spilt some of the accelerant on himself and when he tried to light the pile he set himself on fire as well,” he said.

“The Thirlmere crew was able to handle the fire very quickly and there was no issue with it spreading.”

District Assistant Chadwick said controlled pile burns for hazard reduction were encouraged, as long as the correct guidelines were followed.

He said piles should be small, roughly one metre by one metre, and should be treated with caution. 

The RFS crew were on site for roughly an hour.


Discuss "Man seriously burned in Thirlmere grass fire"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.